Saturday 2 December 2006

Why am I spending my time at AlertMe.com?

Hello again.

I thought I'd start off on a personal note, since our company is really about people.

I've frequently been asked why I joined AlertMe.com, well, here goes.

First, I'm a worrier. I worry about everything: my two daughters, politics, crime, the environment, speed cameras.... I sometimes catch myself in daydreams of crazy things going wrong. So I need to divert myself from worrying. One way is to focus on fun by going out with friends, punting on the Cam, or reading a good book. Another way is to do something about whatever it is that's bothering me, such as making a list, getting a plan together, or asking my friends for help.

Second, I know a bit about security. I worked for Veritas Software (now Symantec) for almost 10 years. Our business was about preserving businesses by protecting their data and applications. I traveled a lot and helped businesses and governments around the world, and it felt good.

Third, I wanted to work directly with customers, not as abstract numbers, but as people. I just finished a MBA at Cambridge's Judge Business School, and my thesis was on "co-production", a fancy word for working with people to deliver exactly the solution they want.

The vision of the company to me is really about the overlap of these three areas: using innovative technology to end the worries around the home, even when away from home, and to do so in a way that is designed around people.

Keep the peace,
Nik